For every person, a house is an outlet for his heart, a place where he is calm and comfortable. He constantly tries to transform his corner, because you want to return to a beautifully designed dwelling, and the interior decoration influences the world perception and psychological state. The overhaul starts from the bathroom and the kitchen area, as it is impossible to do without a gas stove, sink, faucets. In order to carry out activities quickly, they preliminarily think over and select raw materials for facing the walls, ceiling, and floor in the kitchen.
The flooring plays an important role in the interior, it is laid at the final stage, after the design of the ceiling and partitions. When choosing a suitable building material, take into account many factors: the area and features of the room, number of floors, illumination, overall style. To understand the huge assortment that the construction market offers, let us consider in detail the existing options for finishing materials.
Features and requirements for flooring for the kitchen
Repairing the floor in the kitchen room is a responsible, time-consuming process. According to generally accepted standards, there are several types of repair work: capital, cosmetic. The first type takes a lot of time, it is resorted to either on arrival or upon a complete change in the design of the room, its redevelopment. The second option is a simplified version of the previous one, where only the old is dismantled and a new material is laid that meets certain requirements:
- Water, moisture resistance. High humidity is observed in the room, water is periodically spilled on the floor, even at the most careful hostess.
- Resistant to heat and temperature. Drops of boiling oil and grease may fall on the coating, and the room is constantly heated from the stove and oven. A good building material should be immune to such effects.
- Wear resistance and resistance to mechanical damage. The load exerted on the surface is enormous. There are constantly people here, furniture, stools, chairs, sometimes heavy kitchen items fall onto the surface.
- Easy care. The material should simply be washed and cleaned of dirt.
- Aesthetics. Functionality and practicality are very important, but also pay attention to the fit of the facing to the overall style.
Screed and floor insulation in the kitchen
In most cases, no rough repair is necessary. Work begins with the dismantling of the old coating, checking the foundation for the presence of fungus, mold, flaws, and other defects. Sometimes you need to conduct communications, pouring the foundation. Then proceed to waterproofing the surface, which many often forget.
If a leak occurs in the kitchen, the waterproofing layer will not save the flooring, but it will not let moisture in, which will save the landlord from repairing the ceiling of the neighbors living below.
The next step will be floor insulation. This is an important point, since it accounts for 20% of heat loss. There are several ways to perform actions:
- laying of a heat-insulated floor;
- filling with bulk materials;
- styrofoam styling.
The final layer of the rough finish is the screed. It allows you to align the plane. After it dries, the flooring can be laid on the finished surface. Before it is filled, the base is cleaned from dust and dirt, a primer is applied, and lighthouses are installed. Then the cement-sand mortar is kneaded and poured, which is leveled by the rule on fixed beacons. Liquid soap is sometimes added as a plasticizer.
Types of flooring: advantages and disadvantages
Manufacturers produce a large range of building materials that meet all the requirements for coating for the kitchen room. However, you should avoid some types of raw materials, such as carpet, other types of soft carpet materials. Liquid spilled on the carpet leads to stains that are very difficult and sometimes impossible to remove. These options are best used in the hallway or living room.
Linoleum and ceramic tiles remain the most in demand when finishing the kitchen. Also here lay bulk, concrete, wooden floors, granite, cork wood, parquet, laminate. In some cases, if necessary, perform zoning, carry out a combination of different materials. This idea helps to make the division of the house, studio apartment, converted from one-room Khrushchev.
For many decades, this material has remained very popular among the population. It is practical and convenient, and you can do it yourself. There are two main types of this raw material: natural (marmoleum), artificial. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages:
The advantages of natural linoleum:
- environmentally friendly product, it is safe for humans, does not cause allergic reactions of the body;
- it does not accumulate static electricity, respectively, does not attract dust;
- the covering is durable, its service life reaches 20 years;
- has a wide choice of shades, more than 2 thousand;
- burn material is very difficult, it does not support the process of burning;
- does not fade under the action of ultraviolet;
- characterized by good sound insulation;
- retains heat.
Among the shortcomings are:
- fragility, rolled models can not be rolled several times;
- has a lot of weight;
- it is difficult to cut during installation.
Manufacturers do not recommend laying building material over a warm floor, as it does not allow heat to pass through.
Artificial linoleum is produced from various raw materials, among which can be distinguished: PVC, alkyd, rubber, kolloksilovy. For residential premises use only the first option, characterized by the following advantages:
- service life is 10-15 years;
- material resistant to abrasion;
- it is water resistant, does not let moisture.
- it is easily cleared of pollution;
- has a low cost;
- resistant to mechanical stress.
- poorly regains shape after moving previously installed heavy objects;
- it is vapor-proof; if moisture gets under the coating, a mold is formed;
- chemical components are used in production;
- for laying requires a perfectly flat base.
The material can be compared to OSB, but it is thinner and more plastic. The finish consists of pressed wood chips and binders. The statement about its ecological qualities, compared with natural wood, is not substantiated. This coating is no better than laminate or linoleum, its basis is vinyl or PVC, the cork layer itself often does not exceed 2-3 mm. The glue with which the cork floor is pressed can release harmful substances for a long time. The advantages of this building materials include:
- waterproof, from 100% spilled liquid raw materials absorb 20%.
- it is very warm to the touch;
- it is soft, it is pleasant to walk on it, the dishes are not broken when falling;
- has good sound insulation;
- immune to fungal infection;
- has a small static character;
- small garbage is not visible on it;
- there are models with non-slip surface.
- unattractive appearance;
- high price;
- it is necessary to lay on a perfectly flat base;
- subject to burnout;
- difficult to care for;
- afraid of scratches, mechanical damage;
- it is impossible to remove grease stains, paint, other contaminants.
Natural wood trim looks very solid and rich. This is a classic building material that will never go out of style. It can be put only after special treatment. The most affordable is softwood, such as spruce or pine. In the presence of free cash, it is better to give preference to oak, beech, ash. These species will cost much more, but their strength and durability is significantly higher. The material is characterized by the following advantages:
- long service life, in oak floors can reach 60 years or more;
- it is an environmentally friendly product;
- differs in high rates zvuko-, thermal insulation;
- withstands heavy loads;
- has an attractive appearance;
- compatible with any style.
- carpentry requires carpentry skills and tools;
- high cost of the processed board, which depends on the type of wood, its geometrical parameters;
- afraid of moisture and temperature changes;
- requires constant care, periodic treatment with special protective compounds.
The floorboard has a very attractive appearance, due to the unique texture. It consists of three main layers. Upper - its thickness is 3-4 centimeters, varnished, made of solid wood. Medium - represented by lamellae of spruce, pine, rubber. Bottom - this is the usual plywood. This composition allows to reduce the cost of veneer material. You can also distinguish four main types: parquet, piece, tile, shield. The advantages include:
- with proper installation and operation of parquet can serve for several decades;
- the finished product is coated with varnish, oil, wax, does not require additional processing;
- has several types of connections: glue, castle.
- it can be put on its own;
- it is warm like ordinary wood;
- characterized by a natural pattern;
- looks good in the home interior.
- high cost in comparison with linoleum, laminate, tile;
- it is difficult to remove stains from spilled liquids from the surface, for example, from red wine, cherry, carrot, beet juice;
- afraid of mechanical stress;
- may become swollen and deformed if wet;
- requires constant careful care using special tools.
Some experts offer advice not to use this coating in the kitchen, offering to install it in other rooms, for example, in the corridor. However, if you choose the right type and class of material, perform high-quality base preparation, protect joints from moisture, then this raw material can be easily laid in the kitchen room. When buying a finished product, you should pay attention to wear resistance, moisture resistance level, method of joining elements, thickness, of the manufacturer. If we consider all the recommendations, then in the end you can get:
- high-quality floor, which is not afraid of blows, chips, scratches;
- very warm material, it is pleasant to walk on it barefoot;
- he is not afraid of temperature fluctuations;
- it is easy to clean from any kind of pollution;
- surface resistant to abrasion;
- it does not leave dents from heavy objects.
- may become swollen when wet;
- waterproof models are expensive;
- the floor may creak;
- poorly absorbs noise;
- for safety, you should choose models with emission class E0 or E1.
Manufacturers produce a wide range of this building material, which is different in color, shape, type of coating. The floor ceramic tile is made in three ways: by casting, extruding, pressing. This is one of the most practical and cost-effective coatings. For a kitchen room, you should not choose products with a glossy surface; on a matte surface, small defects and damage are less noticeable. Among the main advantages of this material are:
- good strength;
- low cost;
- easy care;
- characterized by a long service life of several decades;
- it is refractory, does not burn, does not deform from high temperatures;
- does not burn out under the influence of sunshine;
- environmentally friendly material, does not emit harmful substances;
- raw materials are neutral to moisture;
- local damage can be easily repaired.
- it is cold, when installing it is recommended to use a heated floor;
- requires a prepared, level surface;
- has poor sound insulation;
- when falling, kitchen items are guaranteed to be broken.
The product is made from a mixture of white-burning clay and kaolin, with admixtures of mineral pigments, quartz sand, and water. Externally and in terms of performance, the product looks like a standard ceramic tile. This is the perfect option for the kitchen room. The material is harder than natural granite. It has the following specifications:
- has low water absorption;
- the coating is immune to the effects of chemicals;
- not afraid of temperature changes;
- it is a durable raw material;
- does not fade, over time does not lose its appearance;
- characterized by high impact strength;
- material is durable.
- is more expensive than tile;
- the surface is very cold;
- from a strong blow may crack;
- has fewer design options than ceramic counterparts.
The second name for self-leveling coatings is liquid linoleum. A distinctive feature of this method of finishing is that the material is poured, and does not fit. The result is a very flat plane, on the surface of which there are no seams. All types of liquid floor differ in composition. There are 4 main types: methyl methacrylate, epoxy, polyurethane, cement-acrylic. The last three can be used for the kitchen room. Among the main advantages of this building material stand out:
- beautiful appearance;
- long service life, which reaches 40 years;
- wear resistance;
- good adhesion to any base;
- the coating forms an airtight layer, providing additional waterproofing.
- large selection of color palette, there are 3D options;
- material is environmentally safe.
- difficult dismantling;
- very high price;
- a cold surface, it is recommended to install a warm floor together with the system;
- vapor tightness
This unusual material for interior decoration of residential premises as concrete can fill the floor in the kitchen. It is as cold as tile or self-leveling models, but with the use of a heated floor, this disadvantage can be eliminated. This is the perfect lining option for lovers of loft style. The surface can be painted with a special acid composition, give it a beautiful appearance, make an imitation of natural stone, wood, ceramic tiles. The advantages of building materials include:
- naturalness, environmental friendliness;
- fire resistance, raw materials do not burn;
- durability, the term of operation can reach 20-30 years;
- due to its solidity, it does not allow moisture, prevents the development of microorganisms;
- resistant to water, chemicals;
- with special surface treatment, it becomes wear-resistant;
- low cost
- small selection of colors;
- difficult dismantling;
- Without topping and mineral, organic impregnation, the coating will wear out quickly.
Each style has its own gender
The floor occupies a large area in any room, it has a significant impact on the overall appearance of the room, emphasizes its dignity, should correspond to the chosen direction. When buying flooring also take into account the style of the kitchen. Consider several popular options:
1. Classic. For a budget design fit the usual linoleum, ceramic tile light, beige tones, laid diagonally or "herringbone." For more expensive finishes, natural wood, parquet, and artificial stone are used.
2. Modern style, for example, hi-tech, minimalism. They are suitable for plain floors, on which there is no pattern. You can make linoleum, tile. Concrete coating will become indispensable for the direction of the loft.
3. Ethnic. The Japanese style uses a dark floor made of natural polished wood. For Chinese - fit wood panels, cork. Do not use laminate flooring. For Scandinavian - used natural wood with a natural shade.
Colors - how to choose the color of the floor
In the kitchen, people spend a lot of time. Indoors they cook, rest, gather with the whole family for a meal. Therefore, the choice of color is very important. Each shade has a psychological effect on a person, can act soothingly or cause aggression. The main rule in selecting the background of the floor covering - it should be combined with the design of walls and furniture.
From the point of view of design, light tone is universal, suitable for both large and small spaces. Dark shades are good to use in large rooms with good lighting. If natural light is not enough, then such an environment will tire. This option makes it possible to create contrasting solutions, to combine black colors on the floor with white, beige walls.
When dividing a room into different work areas, not only composite materials used for the flooring can be used, but also different colors. In this case, the transition from one shade to another should be done smoothly. You should not use a multi-colored floor in a small kitchen. This combination will visually reduce the space.
Having considered the existing types of flooring for the kitchen, everyone can easily choose the appropriate option.At the same time, you can improve your living conditions without significant investments. You can save money not only on the choice of low-cost finishing, but also on the services of specialists by doing your own repair work.