A bathroom is one of the most difficult areas in an apartment or house. There is a large number of communications that complicate repairs. They can not always hide, leaving access for possible repair. Therefore, many alternatively place a closet in the toilet behind the toilet. You can purchase a finished structure or make it yourself. Material, shape, size may vary, should be selected depending on the characteristics of the room, the type of wall decoration. This can be a mounted decorative item or a truly functional cabinet for storing household chemicals, paper stocks and other sanitary ware.
Features of placement and functionality of the cabinet
Errors in the arrangement of the toilet can affect the comfort, quality of use of a small room. To enhance the ergonomic characteristics of the space, it is necessary to choose externally attractive, durable, functional structures. Embed cabinets in the sanitary room to solve the following problems:
- Decorate communication. The room will immediately acquire an attractive, neat appearance. Properly placed design will allow at any time to get to the pipes, without disassembling the lockers to carry out repairs, cleaning.
- Provide extra storage space. Household chemicals, rags, brushes, kits for animals conveniently placed on the hanging shelves. This will save the space of other rooms, will maintain order.
- Safety of water meters, ball valves, flexible hoses. Hidden behind drywall, wood, plastic devices will last longer because they will collect less dust and condensate. They can be reached without any problems at any moment, the interior will be aesthetic and practical.
Ways to post
When optimizing space, especially in small premises, attention should be paid to unused, hard-to-reach areas. One of these - the back wall of the toilet. It is usually empty, unless it holds the boiler. Close tubes can be mounted, freestanding or built-in closet. In the "dead zone" formed by the tank, you can position the suspended shelves up to 40 cm in depth.
Wall cabinet - a versatile option. You can choose the size of the module and height. To create the illusion of continuing the room, the outer side of the doors is decorated with mirrors. If the area is very limited, you can take advantage of free corners.
Freestanding structures are U-shaped. Shelves can be closed or open if there is an obstacle to the free movement of the doors. The cupboard on the legs has a special opening for the barrel, due to which it can fit in any bathroom. The assembly process, the installation does not require much time and effort, no need to drill the walls, pick up dowels.
Embedded systems will not install every layout of the toilet. Toilets with niches are suitable for their installation. You only need to make shelves and doors. The role of the rear, side walls will play the opening itself.
Dimensions and design
When choosing a product it is necessary to consider its dimensions. Lockers should not take up much space. For smaller spaces, narrow shelves will fit behind the toilet or on the side wall. If space permits, you can place a pedestal on the legs, a pencil case under the ceiling. The design will provide maximum access to communications. The small hatch is located at the bottom, it will hide water meters and lower wiring.
Having decided on the type and size of the structure, you can proceed to the choice of design. The following models are popular:
- With roll doors. Comfortable blinds suitable for small spaces. The lifting system makes the shelves accessible from the bottom to the top alternately, so that frequently used items should be placed below;
- Pseudo-blinds. Movable strips are not used as doors. The opening is simply covered with a construction of longitudinal elements;
- Plumbing hatch. Closes a niche with pipes. The main purpose is to hide communications. If desired, one or two shelves can be located behind the door;
- With hinged doors. The most popular option may be of different size, installation method, design;
- Closet. Usually the shelves are divided into two parts, have an internal partition. At the same time open both sides will not work.
The locker looks harmonious in any room, if its shelves are not wider than 20 cm.
Types and models
When considering options for a closet for a toilet, the choice should be stopped on the most functional model. The product should not stand out from the general color scale, correspond to the interior. It is important to correctly determine the shape of the future cabinet. The design can be rectangular, triangular, radial, trapezoid, angular. Each model provides a rational layout in a separate room.
Wall cabinets and shelves
In a small house, and especially in an apartment, every centimeter counts. A huge number of different accessories need to be stored somewhere. For these purposes, you can use the wall cabinet, located in the toilet above the toilet. For any room there is a suitable option that matches the parameters of the room. The wardrobe can be found among the old kitchen set, furniture installed in the living room, purchased at a specialty store, ordered by the size of the bathroom.
In some cases, for the installation of the object it is necessary to cut out certain parts, for the passage of the riser and other pipes. It is desirable to process the cut obtained with a water-repellent agent and paint. When choosing the size of the locker should pay attention to the following points:
- it must not obstruct the ventilation;
- interfere with the person sitting on the toilet;
- access to the sink must be free.
Sturdy walls will be required to locate a heavy structure. If there are none, it is worth considering the option of using hanging shelves that you can do a lot with your own hands. Due to the absence of the facade, rear partitions, side walls, they have a small weight. They can accommodate toiletries, decor items. But do not forget that all elements will be visible.
In a private house, where there is a large toilet, you can place a full closet close to the toilet. Such a design, as a rule, takes quite a lot of space, has a massive appearance. The advantage of this choice is that all items located on the inner shelves are not visible. Closed models do not require constant cleaning.
For smaller restrooms, it is better to consider the option of a locker with legs. They occupy space along the wall, towering over the side, and have open and closed shelves. You can order special designs that will be based on two pedestals framing the toilet on both sides. On top of them are sections with shelves and doors.
When choosing any option should take into account the compatibility of style and shade of furniture with the overall design of the room. It is also necessary to choose a product that will hold the maximum amount of things without disturbing the comfortable existence of people. Therefore, when buying or ordering a cabinet, you should clearly measure out all the parameters of the room, take into account the existing restrictions.
Niches open and with a facade
Arranging an open niche will solve many problems. It will help to mask the riser and other sanitary communications, in its deepening you can place various useful items and decorative elements. For its manufacture using different materials - wood, metal, plastic. The best raw material is drywall. First, a metal profile frame is erected, onto which the sheathing is mounted.
If the toilet is combined with a bathroom, it is constantly damp in it, ceramic tiles are used for wall decoration. In this case, it is better to use high-quality brickwork for niche equipment. The recesses in the erected partitions will play the role of shelves. It is necessary to worry about safety, to make all angles smoothed. To increase the comfort inside the pocket you need to install a decorative LED backlight.
In some cases it is appropriate to use a closed facade. Equipping the niche with doors, you can hide the contents from outsiders, minimize the number of cleanups. This addition will make the design look like a full-fledged wardrobe. Wooden or plastic doors, rolling shutters, sliding elements, glass surfaces are well suited for this purpose.
Built-in structures will be a convenient alternative to the options considered. Unlike case products, they have only doors and shelves; walls and ceilings play the function of the rear and side partitions. The cost of such models is much cheaper, while they are not inferior to their counterparts in capacity, and in some cases even surpass them.
Narrow toilet fully meets the requirements for the location of the structure. Everybody can assemble it, it is enough to make measurements, perform markings, select shelves and doors, attach them to the walls. Such products are very easy to fit into the existing interior. For a visual increase in space, you can use mirrored doors.
Chipboards, MDF, natural wood, mirrors, glass can be used as basic materials for manufacturing. Having decorated a wardrobe with a drawing, 3D image, having executed a combined facade, you can decorate it in any existing style, be it modern, classical or ethnic.
How to make a wardrobe on your own
The initial stage of work on the collection of structures involves the preparation of the project. After the model and method of installation, it is necessary to determine the material of the elements and the method of their manufacture - independent production or order in the workshop for the required dimensions. If the room is narrow, the closet is better to do on the whole wall. In square rooms, the design can be supplemented with side drawers.
Independent production of elements for a prefabricated structure will require the availability of a special tool for processing, shaping, and fastening parts. You should also decide in advance on the type of doors, pick up hinges, handles and other accessories. To work will require:
- Drill, screwdriver;
- Jigsaw, Planer;
- Scissors for metal;
- Level, tape measure, ruler, metal corner.
What material do
The material for the closet to the toilet must be moisture resistant, withstand temperature changes. If it does not meet the requirements, it should be treated with special compounds or apply a protective coating. For the manufacture of shelves, closed structures in the bathroom often use the following options:
- Drywall Waterproof varieties of material are suitable. Sheets are easy to process, do not rot. Finished shelves can be decorated with paint, varnish. Disadvantages - the fragility of the corners, low mechanical resistance;
- Wood. The shelves are made of timber, the doors of the boards. Beautiful natural material requires additional treatment with hydrophobic impregnations;
- Plywood. For the cabinet suitable species with high water resistance. Sheet thickness must be at least 14 mm;
- Laminated chipboard. Differ in the increased water resistance. When choosing this option for the shelves, the doors should take into account its large weight and the possibility of deformation of the structure. For mounting such a cabinet, use additional stiffeners;
- Plastic. Absolute water tightness, small weight does material demanded. Dense plastic panels are used for the manufacture of shelves, doors, side walls. A large range of colors and textures allows you to make a design in any style;
- Metal. It has high mechanical strength, easy to assemble. The material requires corrosion protection.
Some types of plywood, for example, PSFs contain phenol-formaldehyde resins, which are released when heated. A strong carcinogen provokes the formation of cancerous tumors, so the material should be used at a maximum distance from the heating pipes, boiler.
Project and drawing of future product
When drawing up a drawing yourself, it is necessary to take into account several important points. First of all, the dimensions of the room are schematically reflected, the location of sanitary units is noted. Highlight should be the areas to which access will be left.
Based on the initial scheme, a project will be created with detailed markup of all elements. Simple design includes side walls, shelves, doors, rear wall, if necessary. The frame can occupy the entire height of the wall, from the floor to the ceiling, or occupy only the space above the side.
If the project is being prepared for a toilet in an apartment building, then make the closet better for the entire width of the room. It is 80-85 cm. The depth of the shelves is determined taking into account the indentation of the tank from the wall. Doors are selected based on the type of model. They can be sliding compartments, swing, lifting roller shutters.
Having a ready-made scheme with all the calculations, you can proceed to the manufacture and installation of the structure. Before starting work, prepare a place for the cabinet. It is necessary to remove the old finish, wash and dry the surface. Collecting a structure with your own hands goes through several stages:
- Frame installation. Mark up the place, starting from the ceiling (the depth of the shelves, their distance from each other, the required height from the tank). The simplest design of the frame - the lower, upper panels connected by side racks. It is simply placed in the pier and fixed with dowels, focusing on the markup. Before installation, make cuts according to the diameter of the pipes.
- Shelves. Make of waterproof plywood, chipboard, other wood materials. Each element must have slots for pipes in accordance with its location. For installation use cross-pieces from metal, a bar. Shelves are laid on them and fixed with screws.
- Dressing It is carried out after complete assembly and installation of the cabinet in the toilet. The choice of decoration method will depend on the materials used. Wood is enough to process varnish, chipboard, drywall - paint. The outer side of the doors make out the plastic moldings.
What doors to make
It is these elements that give the product a complete look. Mount them last. According to the method of manufacture, they are as follows:
- Typesetting. Each side of the double-leaf, swing construction is assembled from separate slats. All parts are glued and fixed with metal corners. Set on the butterfly loops;
- Swing. Two identical parts made of chipboard are mounted on furniture hinges. They are then screwed to the back of the frame pillars;
- Grid. The slats are mounted on a prepared frame at a certain distance. Such doors look beautiful and original, provide good ventilation;
- Sheathed From wooden planks make a frame, then revet plastic, fiberboard, plywood on both sides. Install on simple swivel loops.
Tips how to choose the right
Choosing a closet in the toilet, you must take into account the specifics of the room. The material of the shelves, doors and frame must be moisture-resistant, withstand heating from the heating pipes, not be deformed when in contact with chemical compounds during cleaning.
The color of the shelves in the toilet should be practical, non-marking, since the structure will be located in an inaccessible place for cleaning. Doors are best done with minimal relief, without hollows and grooves to simplify the maintenance of impeccable hygiene.
It is very simple to equip your own practical closet. By accurately following the recommendations and considering all sizes, the inconspicuous room will become a real source of pride. You can use any idea, suitable material for the base and decor. Properly assembled and fixed model will last for many years. The functional design will hide behind its doors unattractive technical equipment, cleaning compositions.